It’s that time of year — being exposed to colds or the flu is much more probable. There is nothing worse than a stuffy nose, especially when you’re trying to sleep. The discomfort of one side of my nose being all plugged up is so uncomfortable! It’s hard to sleep because I am constantly trying to change from side to side to get relief.
This mix helps because of the amazing ingredients. The cayenne, honey and the ginger are natural expectorants. That means they will help loosen the phlegm and mucous. Cayenne is also a decongestant and helps relieve the swelling and inflammation that narrows the nasal passages. Apple cider vinegar and lemon juice also help drain and get rid of congestion. Together, these ingredients relieve sinus pressure.
I love having this mix ready to take at the first sign of congestion. I don’t want the congestion to start building up and getting out of control. Right when I start getting a stuffy head, this homemade decongestant brings quick relief. Plus, I can use it as often as I need to.
Ingredients for Homemade Decongestant
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 1/2 tbsp natural organic honey
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
- Small glass jar with lid to store the mixture in
1. Gather all ingredients.
2. Measure all ingredients.
3. Pour lemon juice and apple cider vinegar into a small pot and bring to a simmer.
4. Stir in 3 1/2 tablespoons of honey. Add the cayenne and ginger.
5. Let the mixture cool, then pour into a glass jar.
6. Shake well before each use. You can warm it up a little bit if you want. Adults can take 1 to 2 tablespoons as needed. Make sure to dilute it for children and only use 1 teaspoon at a time. Feel better soon!